alres PDF Print E-mail
Written by Mike West   
Thursday, 06 October 2011
Active Image               Active Image


            Active Image
Jared Wetherick's hat trick secures home victory

Newport made two changes from the side that lost at Fawley last week. Tom McInnes returned from suspension and Jared Wetherick was given a start in place of Dan Vale who was on the bench and Corbin Ricketts.

Alresford included former Newport players, Mike McEnery and Dean Cole in their starting eleven. They made four changes from the side that drew against Alton last Saturday.

On an overcast afternoon, the visitors kicked off attacking the Allotment end. It was Newport that started brightly and after three minutes John McKie jinxed around a couple of defenders before firing in a 20 yard shot that curled wide of the near post

During the opening passage of play, Newport frequently had Alresford penned in their own half without creating a clear scoring opportunity

Newport took the lead on 21 minutes when a cross from the right was fumbled by Chris Waller under pressure from Jared Wetherick and as the ball run loose he was able to hook it into the goal off the inside of the post.

As Newport continued to attack, Tom McInnes laid the ball into the path of Ross Gregory but his shot swerved wide of the far post. They increased their lead when Ross Gregory run round the back of the defence to drive a low shot into the corner of the net.

Ross Gregory then turned provider setting the ball up for John McKie but as he cut in, his shot was off target. As Alresford counterattacked, Dean Cole played the ball in from the left to Mike McEnery but he blasted over from 15 yards.

Newport were reduced to 10 men for the final minutes of the half when John McKie sustained a head injury in a collision. Fortunately he was fit enough to resume in the second half.

Newport deserved their two goal interval lead but things could have been different had a shot from Dean Cole midway through the half had gone in instead of striking the crossbar.

Half Time. Newport 2 Alresford Town 0

Play was held up for two minutes as Cameron Farley needed attention following a collision as he gathered a cross.

As Alresford sought to reduce the deficit, Dean Cole outpaced the Newport defence only to be denied a shot by a block from Graham Stay.

Newport increased their lead on 65 minutes when Jared Wetherick raced through the defence before slotting the ball past Chris Waller. Shortly afterwards Jared Wetherick set up John McKie on the right but his shot was blocked by Chris Waller.

At the other end, Dan Strange beat Cameron Farley to the ball outside the penalty area but by the time he had composed himself and chipped the ball to the unguarded net, Martin McDonough had raced back and chested the ball off the line.

The match’s first substitution came on 70 minutes when Alresford replaced Dean Cole with midfielder Dean Smith. Five minutes later, Newport introduced Joe Tigwell in place of Ryan Oatley followed by Dan Vale coming on for John McKie.

On 78 minutes Mike McEnery latched on to a loose clearance and raced through the defence before steering the ball past Cameron Farley, into the net to reduce the deficit.

Newport maintained the pressure and both Tom McInnes and Ross Gregory saw their goalbound shots charged down. Then Chris Waller blocked shots from Joe Tigwell and Ross Gregory. The pressure finally paid off on 82 minutes when the ball broke to Jared Wetherick in the penalty area and he drove it low into the net to complete his hat trick. Immediately Newport replaced Ross Gregory with Ryan Gregory. Alresford brought on Mike Rayner in place of Adrian de la Nougerede. Then with two minutes remaining James Eyles gave way to Stacey Harper.

Newport deserved their victory and move up six places to eleventh whilst Alresford drop to seventeenth position.



Cameron Farley                        Chris Waller

Martin McDonough                   James Eyles (Stacey Harper)

Graham Stay                            Joe Wright

Ross Gregory (Ryan Gregory) Adrian de la Nougerede (Mike Rayner)

Steve Russell                           Dan Edwards

Harry Ovnik                              Graham Bird

Darren Powell                           Dan Strange

Ryan Oatley (Joe Tigwell)        Scott Walters

Tom McInnes                            Dean Cole (Dean Smith)

Jared Wetherick                        Mike McEnery

John McKie (Dan Vale)            Josh Warren

Referee: Mike Desborough      Attendance 121

Newport Reserves were beaten 3-0 at AFC Totton in the Wyvern Combination.

After a goalless first half, Newport A came from behind to beat W & B Sports 2-1. Both goals coming from Alex Wright, the winner being a penalty.



Last Updated ( Saturday, 08 October 2011 )
< Prev   Next >

valid xhtml | valid CSS

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack